Splenda, manufactured by food ingredient company Tate & Lyle and marketed by McNeil, is a leading sugar substitute brand.
- The Splenda brand had enjoyed strong growth and differentiation in past years, but faced increasing competition which threatened its taste advantage and growth prospects.
- Tate & Lyle hired AspireUp to develop strategic options to grow sucralose ingredient and Splenda brand, and to increase differentiation.
- AspireUp teamed with the client's leadership group and faculty from Kellogg School of Management to conduct a strategic assessment of the business.
- Many long-term growth options were explored, with consideration given to new branding solutions, new potential markets, new products, and new marketing mix options.
- Four growth initiatives were recommended based on evaluation of feasibility, risk, cost, and strategic fit, along with a roadmap for moving forward.